2023 Rebates for Switching From Oil to a Heat Pump
In today's world, the quest for eco-friendly and cost-effective heating solutions is more vital than ever. Nova Scotia residents can take a significant step towards achieving this goal with the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability (OHPA) Program.
This program not only promises a greener home, but also substantial savings on heating expenses. Read on to explore how switching to electric cold-climate heat pumps can help you cut costs and the various avenues available for receiving rebates in 2023.
Why Switch to a Cold-Climate Heat Pump?
Traditional oil heating can be a significant drain on your wallet, with fluctuating oil prices causing unpredictable and often high heating bills. In contrast, cold climate air source heat pumps are designed to operate efficiently in temperatures as low as -30°C, making them a viable option for our harsh Nova Scotia winters, while significantly reducing your annual heating costs. They can both heat and cool your home, providing year-round comfort, while most importantly, they can save you thousands of dollars annually on heating bills while also reducing your carbon footprint.
Financial Support Options
There are several avenues to explore for Nova Scotians seeking affordable heating options. The Oil to Heat Pump Affordability (OHPA) Program, was designed to help low and median-income Canadian households who are currently heating their homes with oil to make the transition to electric cold-climate heat pumps.
Eligible homeowners can receive up to $5,000 in federal support through this program. But that's not all — when combined with the Canada Greener Homes Grant (CGHG), you can receive an additional $5,000 in funding.
The benefits of these programs extend beyond just heat pumps. In addition to rebates, Canada Greener Homes Loans are interest-free and can be used to finance other energy-efficient retrofits recommended by an Energy Advisor. The most common upgrades include windows, doors, and renewable energy systems like solar panels.
Maximizing Heat Pump Rebates with the OHPA Program
To make the most of the OHPA Program, it's essential to understand the eligible costs it covers. Kings Refrigeration & Air Conditioning is a trusted partner of this program and can support you throughout the entire process. The program will provide up to $5,000 to cover:
1. Purchase and Installation of Heat Pump: This covers the primary expense of acquiring and installing an eligible cold climate air source heat pump.
2. Electrical and Mechanical Upgrades: These are often required to ensure the new heat pump functions optimally.
3. Oil Tank Removal/Decommissioning: Properly handling your old oil tank is crucial, and this program covers the safe removal or decommissioning.
4. Back-up Electric Heating System: In some cases, a backup electric heating system may be required, and the program can help with this cost.
5. Switching Over Oil-Using Systems: This includes transitioning other oil-dependent household systems, such as hot water heaters, to more energy-efficient options.
It's important to note that non-eligible costs would include any cleanup of pre-existing oil contamination found on-site at households.
Qualifying for the OHPA Program
To qualify for the OHPA Grant, homeowners must meet specific criteria:
1. Your home must have been oil-heated as of January 2023, which can be demonstrated through oil fuel bills from the preceding 12 months.
2. You must be the primary resident and owner of a single or semi-detached home in Nova Scotia.
3. Your total household income must be at or below the maximum annual household income after-tax, as determined by Statistics Canada.
Navigating the Process
Nova Scotians can pre-register for the OHPA Program through a streamlined application process. While there may be some delays due to contractor and material availability, rest assured that program officials are working diligently to process applications as swiftly as possible.
Pre-register for the OHPA program by completing your application here.
If you're uncertain about whether the OHPA Program is right for you, consider using the Energy Assistance Navigation Tool provided by Efficiency Nova Scotia. This online resource can help determine your eligibility and recommend the most suitable program and funding support for your needs.
Making the switch from oil heating to electric cold-climate heat pumps is not just a green choice — it's a smart financial decision. With substantial financial support available through the OHPA Program and the CGHG, homeowners in Nova Scotia have a golden opportunity to save money while embracing a more sustainable way of heating their homes. We at Kings Refrigeration & Air Conditioning are here to help you ensure you are maximizing your rebate options. Give us a call or drop us an email! We'd be happy to help you navigate this grant and/or help you identify if another route might better suit your needs.
Don't let high heating bills weigh you down; take advantage of these programs today and embark on a path to both savings and environmental responsibility.